Used improperly, a space heater can be the most dangerous appliance in your house.
- Install and maintain heating equipment correctly. Have your furnace inspected by a professional prior to the start of every heating season .
- Never leave heaters on when you leave home or go to bed, and keep children and pets well away from them.
- When lighting a gas space heater, strike your match first, then turn on the gas.
- Don't store newspapers, rags, or other combustible materials near a furnace, hot water heater, space heater, etc.
- Don't leave space heaters operating when you're not in the room.
- Keep space heaters at least three feet away from anything that might burn, including the wall.
- Don't use extension cords with electrical space heaters. The high amount of current they require could melt the cord and start a fire.
- Never use a gas range as a substitute for a furnace or space heater.