The Jackson Madison County Regional Health Department issues short
certified birth certificates for persons born in Tennessee from 1949 to
In general, copies of birth certificates may be issued only to the following persons:
- Person named on the certificate, i.e.the registrant.
- Parent of the registrant if the parent is named on the certificate.
- Spouse of the registrant.
- Person with legal custody of the registrant or the legal guardian with court documentation.
- Anyone with a notarized statement from the registrant giving them permission to obtain the certificate.
All persons requesting a birth certificate must provide proof of identification. Proof of identification that we accept.
You must be present in our office between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and
4:00 p.m. Monday thru Friday to receive your certificate the same day.
Persons applying after 4:00 p.m. will be required to return the
following business day.
The cost for the certificate is $15.00. We only accept
cash or money orders. We do accept cash, debit and credit cards, but no personal checks.
Person born before 1949 will need to contact the Tennessee State
Vital Records office in Nashville. They can be reached at 615-532-2679.
You may also come by our office to pick up a form to mail to them to
obtain your certificate. Official web site for Nashville is http://health.state.tn.us/vr/