- Pursuant to T.C.A. 62-6-103 State of Tennessee requirements of homeowner permits:
- A homeowner of a residential property may perform work themselves, without a contractors license, as long as the residential structure is not open to the public; or for sale, lease or rent.
- Allowed one homeowner permit once every two (2) years.
- Anyone hired by the property owner is required to be licensed if they perform $25,000 or more of the work, as these contractors would be considered prime contractors since they are contracting directly with the owner.
- Any Electrician or Plumber hired by the property owner is required to have a license for any and all work performed. A Limited Licensed Electrician (LLE) or Limited Licensed Plumber (LLP) are required for work performed $25,000 or less, a Contractors license with a (CE or E) for electrical or (CMC or CMC-A) for work performed $25,000 or higher.
- There are no specific license for HVAC projects, less than $25,000. Projects $25,000 or more must obtain a Contractors license with the (CMC or CMC-C classification).